Tuesday 19 April 2016

NFW X HAYLEY BECKLEY INTERVIEW

Today I interviewed the lovely Hayley Beckley at her studio in Nottingham to have a chat about her brand. Hayley Beckley is a "compulsive maker, discoverer and dreamer" who creates innovative wearable art in the form of jewellery. Her work will be featured in NFW - Spotlight on Independent Fashion and here's a preview of some of her items and the inspiration behind the collection...
Hi Hayley, first question - if you could describe your brand in one word, what would it be?
Ermm.. that’s hard! I would say whimsical

Tell us a bit about your brand and how it came about?
I started out as a costume making and designer and then I did a jewellery and silversmithing degree, so the pieces that I make are kind of a combination of my different backgrounds coming together.

Where did you complete your degree and why did you choose to set up here in Nottingham?
I studied at Birmingham, the school of jewellery. Well I lived here some years ago, and I think it’s a really lovely city, really creative. They have loads of studio spaces and I think I was really looking for somewhere that you could be part of a community, a bit more individual and open minded and I really like it for that reason.

What do you like about the fashion scene in Nottingham and where do you like to shop?
The independent stores, my favourite is Ursa Minor, that is something that needs to be more of a focus in Nottingham – the independent stores, actual venues that people can sell more individual brands on the high street because there obviously are so many brands in Nottingham and they need more of a presence on the high street maybe! But Ursa Minor is a really good one.
Yeah, I agree because there are a lack of shops like that on the highstreet! What are you most looking forward to about Nottingham Fashion Week?

I think because I exhibit my work but I’ve never exhibited it locally, I think it would just be interesting to sort of see the other brands that are around in Nottingham and see where I actually fit in the location that I make my work in rather than take it overseas and show it to other people

Where have you exhibited your work abroad?
I’ve been to Europe, Milan Design Week, Germany, Munich and I did a show in New York last year and I’m about to send work for another show in New York next month!

Wow.. that’s amazing! Talk us through one of your favourite pieces and how you came to create it?
Well… my favourite piece at the moment is the curved double collar. This collection started out from the research that I did for my graduate collection. The collection is called found in the forest and basically, the idea behind them is being more positively connected to your environment so being more sustainable but also the idea that if you escape into the world around you it kind of connects you to your imagination, like getting lost in the forest and finding the history of stories and that kind of thing. That’s the inspiration behind it.
What is the process of making one of these collars?
So I take photos and layer them digitally and have them printed onto silk, and then hand pleat them and sew them together
Hand pleat!? What does that consist of?
Steam set each one and then sew them together! It’s quite labour intensive and repetitive but one of those things that if you get into a habit of it, it becomes quite meditative I think. And then I make all the silver from a recycled silver sheet and I get a bit from my photos and turn that into a vector image and have that machine engraved and then everything else is handmade on the buttons.

I did textiles at school and loved the practical side! You can tell that a lot of work has gone into them!! Are there any places that you visit for inspiration?
Yeah, I really like to be in the country side because that’s where I grew up. I like birds and take a lot of pictures of them flying, but also the V&A and other galleries. But I also get a lot of inspiration from people I think, the way they communicate and stories!  

Who would you most like to see wearing your designs?
For a celebrity I suppose someone like Natasha Khan or Bjork someone’s who’s a performer but also quite individual, magical!

What do you hope to achieve with your brand?
I would really like to position myself so that I’m in between being a fashion brand and a visual artist and so that I don’t have to be boxed in one category, so I can kind of make pieces that are wearable art. I quite like the idea of being able to curate yourself, by what you choose to wear and that’s the first way that you communicate with other people so I would kind of like to make pieces that can be part of someone’s language.
If there is anything, what would you like to see happen or change in the future of fashion?
Yeah, I really don’t like the idea of throwaway fashion or waste! People just buying things seasonally, which is why I make such labour intensive pieces because I want them to be a treasure that people keep for life. So I think I would really like to see, I mean there are so many interesting material innovations… I was reading about someone who has just developed material out of waste pineapple leaves with puma. So yeah, I think more of that – more material innovation and less fast fashion and waste.

Pineapple leaves! That sounds interesting, I’ll have to check that out. Do you have any advice for aspiring designers hoping to start their own brand?
Yeah I think the most important thing is to just experiment and explore what becomes your own visual language, I think that’s what you need to find, something that you love doing and that you feel communicates yourself. I think the strongest brands are where you see someone and you can just see by looking at them that they are their work. So I think if you can find your own voice – that’s the most important!

What are some of the best lessons you’ve learnt from starting your own brand?
I think the best things I’ve done are just saying yes to opportunities that seem frightening because it leads to things that you don’t expect and yeah like travelling to different countries, just taking the opportunities. But then its equally important at some point to learn to say no and not over commit yourself.

Do you have any help with your collections or do you manage the brand yourself?
It is just me on my own! I do sort of sometimes end up with too much to do but its worth pushing yourself!

Exactly, you should always strive for more! What is the future for your brand?
I’m working on these pieces that are about mental health issues and obsessive/compulsive behaviours so I’m trying to translate that into a community project so it would become like a social enterprise for my brand. So that’s the direction I want to go in.
 Thank you Hayley! Good luck in the future and keep in contact!

For more information on the products, visit http://www.hayleybeckley.com

Keep your eyes open for Hayley Beckley accessories on the runway this weekend and remember to hashtag #NottmFW!

Photo Credit - Chloe Ferdinand



SHARE:
© Much Love, Chlo | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig