Tuesday 26 January 2016

Summative Brief - Task 2

For task 2a, I had to discuss the broader creative contexts that use snakeskin. The creative contexts included areas such as architecture, interiors, products, art, style, beauty, promotion, celebrity culture and the runway. Before collating images, I was aware that snakeskin was a popular print, but had no idea how many demographics actually used it! 
Before I chose my final three images, I thought about the different kinds of connotations that snakeskin was associated with. My three images represent snakeskin being used for protection, strength and luxury - all very completely different qualities. The first image was taken from the book 'Parallel Practices In Fashion And Architecture' which was very informative. There are many links between fashion and architecture and I thought it was interesting that they had used scales on the roof of the building to resemble snakeskin. The second image is a dress designed by Iris Van Herpen who has taken inspiration from the shape of snakes, rather than snakeskin itself. Lastly, snakeskin print has been used within interiors to create a luxury and the muted palette isn't overpowering but it is still effective.

Task 2b was to research snakeskin within its cultural contexts. To start this off, I looked at products that used the print of snakeskin in the 1920s all the way up to the 2000s. Then I went on to look at the  seductive use of snakeskin, the conservative use and the eccentric use. I found all three of these examples throughout the different eras. The most interesting part for me was researching the ethics of using snakeskin, many are against this as they think it is immoral and unjust. For the historical use of snakeskin I focused on Medusa and Adam and Eve. Lastly, I started to think about my childhood and what I thought of snakes and snakeskin when I was younger - Disney sprang to mind. Jungle Book in particular presents snakes as manipulative and sly.
My final choices included the evolution of Medusa and how this character has turned into an influence within celebrity culture. The ethics of snakeskin was one of the most important to include because this is becoming a massive issue and the population of pythons are decreasing dramatically. To conclude all my research, I focused on the presentation of snakes within Disney as the connotations are embedded from a young age and the majority of kids are brought up believing snakes are cunning and evil.

Soon to follow - Task 3


Photo Credit - Chloe Ferdinand, Google Images and Pinterest

SHARE:
© Much Love, Chlo | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig