Saturday 5 December 2015

Mushpit - My favourite duo

Last week I went to Raw Print which is an event in Nottingham that happens the first week of every month, aimed to celebrate the making and publishing of independent magazines. Guest speakers are invited to share their publications with us and explain their process, personal experience, struggles and successes. This week, the magazines were based on feminism and as you guys know, I love independent women that stand for what they believe in. I was intrigued to see how people of such a young age with no funding could create such professional magazines and bring together a successful end product. Charlotte and Bertie, the founders of the magazine “Mushpit” were hilarious and stood for everything I believe in. They had an idea/dream and made it reality! I was fascinated by their story and felt like I could relate to them because they were young girls who went to university, loved to party, were dedicated to their studies and had a mare with InDesign – any student who studies FCP can relate to this, especially me! 
I loved how they didn’t hide their weaknesses, for example they made it clear that they had no funding but they used their creativity to make money and provide clothing for their photo-shoots. For example, they spoke about one of their shoots where they photographed elderly women and then tried to replicate their outfits by using clothing and accessories that they already owned or found in charity shops to then place on a younger model in a different location. They aim to make their readers laugh and even flicking through some of their old issues I can easily say that they have accomplished this!

3 things that Charlotte and Bertie taught me:

1.“Trust your gut” – listen to advice, but at the end of the day do what you want to do
2. Be realistic – we all have bills to pay, spend time on your projects but remember you still need to eat, pay for rent and have a social life!
3. “Know your worth” – Negotiate, don’t let people take advantage

The current issue of Mushpit is sold out but I can’t wait to get my hands on Issue 8 and follow the duo to see how they progress! Good luck girls!



Photo Credit - stackmagazines.com
SHARE:
© Much Love, Chlo | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig