Monday 18 January 2016

Day 1 in NYC

When we first arrived in NY, we explored around the hotel to see what was near us. The location of the hotel was great because we were in the centre of Herald Square which was full of shops. We spotted a cafe called Speedys that sold a variety of breakfast choices, ranging from hot breakfasts such as pancakes or a cooked breakfast, and cold choices such as pastries and fruit. It was DELICIOUS. 
After our breakfast we headed to the garment district where we were taken on a guided tour of the building. For me, the highlight of the tour was meeting the Wanderlust Girls and hearing their story. Similar to the Mushpit girls (you will know of these if you have read my previous blog posts or are a fan of the Mushpit magazine) the Wanderlust girls had no intention of going into a fashion career, their blog was purely down to passion and exchanging fashion tips with one another. The girls were unaware that the blog was visible to other people and this is what got them the followers because of the way they communicated with each other. They were very positive and the way they presented their story was endearing, the amount of opportunities that they come across is incredible and I wish them luck for the future.
 The next stop was Mode, the fabric store featured on project runway. This was insane, I’ve never seen so many fabric rolls in one place! Whilst we were in the shop, we were asked to pick a type of fabric in groups that would appeal to both women from New York and the Caribbean. Below were the choices that my group presented as we thought they were best suited to both. They aren’t too vibrant for the New Yorkers, but they still have a tribal and exotic tint that will appeal to those in the Caribbean.
We then went on to look at a magazine shop that stocked every magazine possible! This was interesting because there were so many different types of layouts and sizes which helped me for inspiration for my summative brief, which is to make a mini report in the layout of a magazine. We were introduced to Natasha Huang who works in PR and we got to hear about her background and what her job actually entails. This was a great opportunity for me because I was never really sure what PR covered. The garment tour ended with a visit to a jewellery showroom. We met the founder of Laruicci, Lauren, who was very welcoming. The showroom was set out beautifully and we got to look at her collection of necklaces, bracelets and rings. The rings were my favourite, with quirky designs and intricate detail.
After the tour, we got a bite to eat and then made our way to Broadway! Before the holiday, we had already looked at the choices of theatre shows on at Broadway and decided that Matilda was one of the favourites. I have seen Matilda in London and if I'm being honest, the one in London was a better performance. However, I was 13 when I went to see it so maybe now that I'm older, I had a different opinion. I was still really shocked that London was better because with Broadway, I had such high expectations. As we were in Broadway, it was the perfect opportunity to go and visit Times Square. This was one of my favourite places to visit because it was full of life and energy! Lots of people were dressed up as superheroes or disney characters which was funny to see.
Stay tuned for tomorrows post about Day 2 in NYC!


Photo Credit - Chloe Ferdinand
SHARE:
© Much Love, Chlo | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig